The Grace Oughton Cancer Foundation offers a number of different programs that support Fredericksburg Area families who are fighting pediatric cancer, or who have suffered the loss of a child. Our programs address many of the challenges faced by families who are enduring, or have endured these significant challenges. If you would like more information on any of our programs, please contact the foundation by email, phone, or the contact form below. Remember, all Grace Oughton Cancer Foundation programs are offered free of charge to patients and families.
Financial Assistance Grants
- The Grace Oughton Cancer Foundation recognizes that there are a number of added expenses that accompany a pediatric cancer diagnosis. As such, the GOCF offers direct assistance grants to area families fighting pediatric cancer. Click here for the grant application. Once it is completed, it can be submitted via email to email@example.com, or faxed to 888-900-4623 (GOCF).
- The GOCF recognizes that children have no opportunity or drive to exercise during treatment. Because of this they come out of the hospital or protocol with decreased muscle mass and overall cardiovascular health. We have partnered up with the Ron Rosner YMCA and sent two of their personal trainers to class for a certification in working with cancer patients. They now offer one-on-one fitness programs for kids with cancer and have the training to do it right. A healthy body means a healthy mind and healthy spirit, and the GOCF will cover all personal training costs associated with this program. Please contact us by phone or email to get more details.
Emotional Support Groups
- Emotional support is a very real need for patients, siblings, and parents involved in cancer treatment. It is also a very real need for family members who have experienced the death of a sibling or child. Thankfully, this is a unique experience, and we have learned that it is difficult to assemble group sessions to address this need. As such, the GOCF will work with any family member who has the need for emotional support to ensure that this support comes without a cost to the family. If you, or someone you know, has a need for emotional support related to a pediatric cancer diagnosis, please reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 888-900-4623 (GOCF), and we will search for a viable solution.
- Children and teens battling cancer are required to miss a number of days at school as a result of appointments, admissions, and illness. There are also cognitive side effects that can couple cancer treatment. The GOCF will work with students fighting cancer by connecting them with tutors and covering those services. Additionally, the GOCF will work with education partners to help families navigate school absences and learning plans. Our goal is to help these kids stay on track, so when they beat cancer they can apply for a GOCF Survivor Scholarship! For more information, please reach out via email to email@example.com, or by phone at 888-900-4623 (GOCF).
Fredericksburg Regional Mobile Lab
- Free CBC Services – One of the many challenges faced by families fighting pediatric cancer is the frequency with which they must have lab work drawn. In many cases this requires them to travel two, three, or even five days per week. This creates challenges with school, work, illness, expenses…and so on. The Mobile Lab offers our area families the option of having lab work drawn at a convenient time and location, giving them back some control and ability to plan their week. The service area is expected to include Fredericksburg, Stafford, Southeastern Fauquier, Southern Prince William, Culpepper, Orange, Spotsy, Louisa, Caroline, Northwestern Hanover, King George, and the western parts of Westmoreland, Essex, King William, and King and Queen counties. Dr. Jiyeon Becker serves as the Medical Director for this service and the Mobile Lab is available now for area patients, so request a referral from your hem/onc attending physician. For more information or referral forms, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Mobile Lab at 888-900-4623 (GOCF), Extension 777.
- Marrow Donor Drives – Many children suffering from cancer or hematological disorders require bone marrow or stem cell transplants as part of their treatment regimen. Finding a match is a frequent challenge for these patients, so the more people who are registered, the better the chance is that they will find a match. The Mobile Lab sets up regular Marrow Drives around the Fredericksburg Region to try and give these patients the best chance to find a match. If you are interested in being added to the donor registry, please email email@example.com. To find out about upcoming drives, or to request a drive, please visit our “events” page, or call the Mobile Lab at 888-900-4623 (GOCF), Extension 777.
Logistics and Transportation Programs
- The GOCF will work with any area family in treatment to help with transportation and logistics. While we may not be able to address every challenge, we are willing to discuss options to help in this area. If you are having problems in these areas, please reach out via email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at 888-900-4623 (GOCF), and we will talk through possible solutions.